Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services for Football
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Location: LAFAYETTE, Louisiana
Preferred Education: Masters
Operations - Academic Support
Internal Number: req1545
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Athletics Department is seeking a qualified Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services for Football. This position will report directly to the Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Academic Services.
- Oversee the academic advising efforts and graduation progression of 85 scholarship football student-athletes and at least an additional 20+ walk-on football student-athletes
- Assist student-athletes with academic schedule development and major exploration and planning
- Work with Learning Specialist to ensure at-risk student-athletes are receiving academic accommodations and guidance needed to be successful and graduate
- Communicate with campus faculty, staff, and athletics administration regarding student-athlete progress and performance
- Consult with football coaching staff on a regular basis regarding academic performance of their student-athletes
- Monitor and report academic progress and eligibility relative to NCAA, Sun Belt Conference and University requirements
- Produce reports to be shared with coaches, athletics administration, the Faculty Athletics Representative, and the University Athletics Committee, such as grades, study hall sessions, eligibility, and graduation
- Meet with prospective student-athletes and parents to explain the services available through SAAS
- Form partnerships with campus departments to provide student-athletes with necessary resources which aid in academic, personal, and career success, such as the Academic Success Center, Counseling and Testing, Career Services, and Disability Services
- Maintain statistical records as needed to ensure data driven decisions
- Maintain knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Sun Belt Conference, and University rules that relate to this position
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) from a regionally accredited institution
- At least 5 years of related experience required
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, public relations, interpersonal, customer service, and supervisory skills when working with student-athletes, faculty, staff, coaches, and administration.- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others; commitment to working with multi-cultural populations.
- Have strong work ethic and be a person of high integrity and character who shares a commitment for knowing and complying with NCAA, Conference, and Institutional rules as they apply to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Athletics program.
- Ability to work extended daily hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Working experience in athletic academic support with a Division I football program preferred
The mission of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is to offer exceptional education informed by diverse world views striving to develop innovative leaders who advance knowledge. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accredits the University, which offers undergraduates and graduates degrees in the arts, sciences, and professional programs. The University is a public research university with high research activity, an enrollment of over 18,000 students and 800 faculty members. UL Lafayette is the largest of nine universities in the University of Louisiana System. The University offers degree programs in 55 undergraduate disciplines, 15 post-bachelor certificates, seven graduate certificates, the master’s degree in 28 disciplines and the doctorate in 10 disciplines. Additional information about the University is available on the University webpage at http://louisiana.edu./
Located midway between New Orleans and Houston, Lafayette is the heart of Louisiana’s Acadian-Creole region. The city of over 126,000 is part of the Lafayette-Acadiana area, which has a total population of 616,000 and is one of Louisiana’s fastest-growing metropolitan area...s. Lafayette serves as the base of Louisiana’s offshore oil industry, as well as the financial, retail, and medical center for South-Central Louisiana.
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities as required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Executive Order 11246, Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 402 of the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act of 1974 and 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.-See more at http://personnel.louisiana.edu/employment-opportunities/policy-nondiscrimination