The University of Texas Permian Basin (UTPB) invites applicants for the position of Head Coach of Women’s Soccer for Athletics.
REPORTS TO: Director of Athletics
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Head Coach of Women’s Soccer is responsible for all aspects of a highly competitive NCAA Division II program. Provide leadership for the appropriate sports program and ensure the program complies with the overall objectives of the Institution and the Department. Ensure the program adheres to all applicable NCAA, Conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Responsible for all strategic aspects, planning, and administering of a successful athletic program. Instructs teaches and coaches student-athletes during practice and competition. Conducts video analysis and instruction as a teaching and preparation tool. Plans practice and/or game-day strategy. Monitoring of student-athletes academic and athletic development.
2. Recruits student-athletes in accordance with NCAA rules and regulations through scouting, attending competitions, and home visits.
3. Represents sports programs to various institutional programs and externally to media, government agencies, funding agencies, students, parents, and the general public.
4. Manages all daily operations and coordinates all administration facets of the assigned program. Oversees all aspects of the financial operation of the specific sports program to include engaging in fund-raising activities for the program in conjunction with athletic advancement.
5. Adhere to all NCAA, Conference, and Institution policies and procedures.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
SCHEDULE: This is an exempt position and as an exempt employee, your schedule may vary based on the number of hours needed to meet the job responsibilities. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening, and weekends to meet the needs of the Athletics Department.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. Once hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of the hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employees must be able and willing to travel and perform duties away from campus as necessary and must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and persons from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EOE, including disability/vets
UTPB participates in e-Verify
UNIVERSITY BENEFITS: The University offers an excellent compensation package that includes a broad range of employee benefits, including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
1. Bachelor’s degree is required.
2. Three (3) to five (5) years of head coaching experience or four (4) years of assistant coaching experience in a collegiate environment.
3. Have a demonstrated record of promoting the academic success of student-athletes.
4. Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
5. Knowledge of and experience in recruiting.
6. Evidence of working effectively with student-athletes of diverse races and cultures.
7. Evidence of complying fully with NCAA regulations.
8. Possess a valid unencumbered driver’s license and the ability to travel both locally and nationally.
9. The ability to successfully complete a criminal background check.
In this position, the Head Coach would be expected to:
1. Handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business or educational reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision-making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data.
2. Have a thorough knowledge of instructional educational methods and techniques. Have the ability to teach in ways that maximize student learning. Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students. Create a learning environment that is safe, respectful, and interesting as well as fair for students from various cultural backgrounds, gender identities, races, ability levels, and developmental needs. Fosters creative thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
3. Be responsible to monitor the physical, emotional, and social welfare of their student-athletes and ensuring the establishment of a safe environment while at the University. Monitors academic achievement of team members by regular communication with professors.
4. Demonstrate a solid knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes and has the ability to mentor student-athletes in their area of specialty.
5. Present a positive image through public appearances on behalf of the University and assist to create support for the program through ambitious marketing and community service efforts.
6. Hold current certifications and licensure as required.
7. Understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures and have the knowledge and a thorough understanding of all aspects of the assigned sports program.
8. Have strong interpersonal and professional leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, colleagues, students, and members of the University staff. Ability to relate professionally and positively in a stressful environment.
9. Effectively communicate general information to the University constituency. However, some situations may require the ability to relay complex or adverse information with tact and diplomacy.
10. Display good long-range planning skills for the future development of the program and be able to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments. Anticipate problems, critical issues, and opportunities as they arise and advise the Director of Athletics accordingly.
11. Prepare and maintain accurate records and create reports in a timely manner, particularly regarding athletic budget, eligibility, compliance, and travel documentation.
12. Travel extensively with the team and monitor the conduct of student-athletes.
13. Accept and provide effective supervision, assignments, change, and correction.
14. Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
15. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
16. Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The University of Texas Permian Basin.
Master’s degree preferred.
Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
1. Physically able to lift various materials up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. Physically able to do the following frequently: shoulder rotation, twisting, thrusting, jumping movements, reaching, and in general, the physical skills necessary to demonstrate the specific techniques of the sport.
3. While performing required job tasks, frequent walking and standing will be required 75% of the time.
4. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform typing, operate a computer and other office equipment.
5. Must be able to tolerate exposure to indoor/outdoor environment/climate changes.
6. Flexibility to work long, irregular hours to include evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
7. Possesses a valid driver’s license and able to drive a 12-person van long distances and have the ability to travel extensively both locally and nationally.
The University of Texas Permian Basin will be an innovative, responsive university that thinks large and lives local. We will lead in advancing education, research, economic competitiveness, and cultural enrichment.
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, learning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing the technology and public interests of West Texas.
The University aspires to be a vibrant, student-focused center of excellence for learning, culture, and economic development—preparing students for leadership and success in a complex and changing world.
From experimental beginnings, UT Permian Basin has grown and keeps growing in nearly every direction:
Almost 7,000 students are enrolled from every corner of the globe.
Our beautiful campus boasts a world-class performing arts center and modern apartment-style housing.
More than 40 student organizations keep student life vibrant and engaging.
Our alumni enjoy great successes soo...n after graduation:70% of UTPB pre-med students get into medical school (25 points higher than the statewide average)
100% pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (20% higher than the national average)
Even though UTPB has grown, we’ve worked hard to provide the most affordable world-class education in West Texas.
The Permian Basin is one of the fastest-growing, culturally vibrant, economically invigorated regions of the country – full of industry, culture, and wide-open spaces. At the academic heart of this area sits The University of Texas Permian Basin – which every year, delivers smart, savvy leaders across the U.S. UT is an affordable, modern school that thinks large and lives local.