Assistant Director: Communications and Creative Services
West Coast Conference
Location: San Mateo, California
Preferred Education: Masters
Position: Assistant Director: Communications and Creative Services
Reports To: Associate Commissioner for External Relations
Basic Functions: The Assistant Director for Communications and Creative Services will work in collaboration with the Conference’s external relations team on media relations and content creation and will assist Conference staff on ideation and execution of the WCC’s strategic plan. The role will promote the West Coast Conference and its member institutions, generating exposure through all media platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as the communications contact for assigned sports.
• Work with television partners for coverage of assigned sports.
• Produce promotional material to support coverage of sports and conference championship events.
• Manage the awards process for assigned sports.
• Compile statistics for assigned sports.
• Manage record books.
• Serve as media coordinator at select championship events.
• Produce feature and editorial content for the Conference's social media platforms, WCCsports.com, and the WCC Network.
• Develop graphic design and video elements for the promotion of the Conference on digital and linear platforms.
• Contribute to the execution of the Conference's social media strategy.
• Assist in the design and creation of publications and marketing collateral. (e.g. annual report, advertisements, and ticket designs).
• Support the marketing and fulfillment of agreements through the WCC’s multi- media rights partner, Van Wagner.
• The position will regularly represent the WCC at all events and institutional visits, assisting the WCC staff in additional roles, as needed.
• Assist the championships team with planning and execution of events.
• Serve as the external relations liaison for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
• Assist Conference staff as requested, including project support and planning.
• Work with the sport administration team, with responsibilities related to sport operations.
The position can be remote through at least June 30, 2022, although the West Coast Conference has an office in San Mateo, California. Travel will be required to the Conference office headquarters, member institutions and select events, including championships, coverage of competition at member institutions and staff events on a regular basis. All work-related travel expenses will be reimbursed from San Francisco airport to the required destination.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications and Timeline: To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information of at least two references to email@example.com. Application deadline is Sept. 17, 2021.
The West Coast Conference is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a diverse working environment. Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a background check and skills assessment.
About the West Coast Conference: The West Coast Conference was formed in 1952 and has evolved and grown to become a nationally recognized and competitive force in Division I intercollegiate athletics with 15 conference-sponsored sports. The WCC is characterized by the stability of its membership and its unique emphasis on combining excellence in athletics with excellence in academics. For more information, visit WCCsports.com and follow the West Coast Conference on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook at @WCCsports.
Required and Preferred Qualifications:
Working knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, the West Coast Conference, and its institutions’ programs.
Minimum two years of professional experience.
Demonstrated understanding of the West Coast Conference’s core values of student-first philosophy, integrity, leadership, success, respect, collaboration, and camaraderie.
Highly developed organizational and leadership skills.
Demonstrated high-level proficiency in various technologies including Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects), Microsoft programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), the WCC's content management system (SIDEARM), and other relevant software.
Ability to demonstrate professional competency by establishing and meeting deadlines, balancing multiple responsibilities in a timely and high-quality fashion.
High level of initiative, creativity, and independence.
Effective and professional communication, both oral and written.
Bachelor's degree required, preference for major in communications, journalism, or multimedia-related field. Master's or advanced/professional degree(s) preferred.
Formed in 1952, The West Coast Conference has evolved and grown to become a bold force in NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics, nationally recognized for its competitiveness, energy and drive. Featuring 15 conference-sponsored sports: baseball, men's and women's basketball, women’s beach volleyball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, women's rowing, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's tennis and women's volleyball, the WCC has gained unstoppable momentum with student-athletes who are relentless in their pursuit of greatness. Fiercely dedicated and highly engaged both in the classroom and on the court, these exceptional people are known for their passion and rigor. Characterized by the stability of its membership, commitment to innovation and unique emphasis on combining excellence in athletics with excellence in academics, the WCC continues to set the bar for excellence in collegiate athletics.
The WCC comprises 10 western, private institutions: Brigham Young University, Gonzaga University, Loyola Marymount University, University of the Pacific, Pepperdine University, University of Portland, Saint Mary's College, University of San Di...ego, University of San Francisco, and Santa Clara University. The WCC sponsors 15 sports: baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, women's rowing, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's tennis, women's volleyball and women’s beach volleyball.