The Colgate University Department of Recreation and Physical Education is seeking energetic, outgoing, and experienced candidates for a full-time Assistant Director of Recreation for Programming. Under the supervision of the Director of Recreation and Chair of Physical Education, the Assistant Director will provide leadership and direction in several programming areas within the Department of Recreation and Physical Education.
Colgate University Recreation and Physical Education programs are comprehensive and directly align with the institutional mission to develop the whole student. The department provides a broad range of services, education and expertise to a diverse community of students, staff, faculty, and community members.
Accountable for the effective leadership and management of assigned recreational sport programs.
Responsibility and oversight of effective implementation, management and assessment of an innovative and comprehensive, campus recreation program that provides a broad range of services, education and expertise to a diverse community of students, staff, faculty, and community members. To include: - Effective oversight and administration of 20-30 club sport programs and the intramural sports program. To include: •continuous oversight and mentorship of programs and their respective student leaders. •responsible for hiring, management and evaluation of part-time club sport coaches. •Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of all club coaches. •ensure student leaders are educated on university policies, procedures and their club responsibilities in order to facilitate their student organization. •oversight of facility scheduling and equipment purchasing. •ensure fiscal responsibility of all club sport programs •hire, train and manage student employee on the club sport event management team. •supervise home and away events, as needed. •effectively monitor risk management for club sport programs and ensure all club sport participants complete required waivers, concussion education training, ImPACT concussion testing (if applicable) and code of conduct forms. •ensure all travel logistics are in place for club teams traveling to off-site competitions/events. •coordinate appropriate medical coverage for high-risk club sport programs, as needed. •effective oversight of the intramural sports coordinator.
- Effective oversight and scheduling of student EMTs and casual wage athletic trainers. Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of all student EMTs and athletic trainers. Independent discretion and decision making for all hiring and firing of part-time staff.
- Independent and unchallengeable decision-making regarding all student and adult participation in recreation activities. Accountable for student welfare while leading events, competitions and trips.
- Create and implement risk management policies and procedures for all recreation and physical education facilities and programming areas. Effectively communicate all changes to staff and students, as needed.
- Exercise independent judgement and discretion for all programming areas.
- Responsible for oversight of administrative and facility operations for assigned areas within the Department of Recreation and Physical Education. To include:
- Club sport and intramural sport equipment management •Lineberry Natatorium •Glendening Boathouse •Bewkes Center •Trap Range
- Ensure on-going participation data is properly recorded and incorporated into annual reports.
- Ensure end-of-year student surveys are sent out to all student participants in recreation and club sports and incorporate responses into annual reports for the Director of Recreation.
- Responsible for maintaining budgets for assigned areas. Exercise independent judgment on all purchases and budgetary decisions for assigned areas.
- Responsible for setting and meeting income targets.
- Effective hiring, supervision, training and scheduling of casual wage staff. Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of direct reports. Maintain accurate and timely payroll for casual wage staff.
- Responsible for role modeling positive behaviors and leadership for students.
- Effective representation of PERA on university committees, as assigned.
- Ensure positive relationships between the program and key stakeholders, to include alumni, local community, fans, parents, faculty and other University constituents.
- As directed, required to effectively support recreation and physical education fundraising efforts.
- Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include: •NCAA •specific conference •athletic department •university policies
- Adherence to the PERA Core Values: •Lead with integrity •We are educators •Strive for excellence •One team
- Two years of related experience in recreational programming or a related field. - Experience working in higher education and advising student life groups is required. - Candidates should possess excellent communication and collaboration skills, high energy, a commitment to student development and educating students through work and recreation, and recreational program planning and implementation experiences. - Candidate must have the sensitivity and ability to work with the college age student, advise staff, develop and implement programs, produce effective outcomes, work effectively both individually and with groups, use independent judgment and display decision-making ability. - Flexibility to adjust work schedule to meet the needs of students and staff is necessary and will require attendance at evening and weekend events, as well as overnight trips on occasion.
Prior experience with supervision of collegiate recreation and/or intramural programs.
About Colgate University
Colgate boasts 25 Division I teams and a tradition of excellence that inspires our student-athletes to high achievement on and off the playing fields.