The Assistant Director of Athletics Communications assists the Assistant Athletics Director for Strategic Communications in developing and implementing the Athletics Department’s communication strategies. This position works closely with Athletics, Marketing and Communications, University Advancement, and the University community to generate interest in our programs through messaging and information sharing. This position directs web and social media initiatives in the athletics department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Assist in developing, directing, and implementing a communications/media relations plan for a 19-sport athletics program: •Deliver the University and Athletics Department’s internal and external messaging •Coordinate and monitor the production of athletics publications, including designing, writing, and editing media guides, game programs, posters, schedule cards, promotional pieces, season ticket brochures, and booster newsletters •Disseminate accurate information reflective of SCSU’s programs •Serve as the daily liaison to local, regional and national media to solicit and promote interesting story ideas •Participate in Athletics, University Marketing and Communications, and other meetings as requested •Assist in the planning and implementation of publicity associated with marketing and promotions projects and special events. •Maintain records and statistics, including year-end summaries for all sports.
Direct web and social media initiatives for Huskies Athletics: •Review and evaluate current media trends to determine implementation and best practice •Utilize social media and video to promote teams, student-athletes, and upcoming events •Utilize audio/visual streaming to deliver web content •Provide reporting related to social media (page views, visits, unique visitors, etc.) to help drive communication strategies
Serve as Athletic Communications representative and perform event management for select sports: •Respond to and manage internal and external media requests for information, photos, and interviews with student-athletes, coaches, and other athletic department personnel •Serve as the liaison between St. Cloud State as it relates to NCAA and Conference media requests •Organize press box and oversee all aspects of an event pertaining to media relations, including radio, newspaper and television coverage •Compile and distribute statistics, game notes, post-event scores and stories
Perform other duties as necessary to build support for and add value to the objectives and goals of the University, Department of Athletics, and Athletics Communications unit.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Minimum of 2 years progressive experience in public relations/athletics communications, preferably with collegiate/professional athletics organization.
· Strong knowledge & understanding of an athletics department at a post-secondary collegiate/university level.
· Knowledge of effective public relations and communications strategies as they relate to intercollegiate athletics
· Strong background in writing, editing, and design; experience with all forms of digital media (websites, social, video, mobile).
· Demonstrated ability to establish effective goal-oriented relationships.
· Strong organization skills and ability to take initiative, multi-task, and achieve a high level of productivity in a collaborative environment under time sensitive deadlines.
· Extensive technological proficiency including experiences with Adobe Creative Suite software (including InDesign and Photoshop), iMovie, html, Microsoft Works, StatCrew, LiveStats and other relevant software programs necessary to perform the job duties described.
· Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
· Evidence of the ability to work with individuals from culturally diverse backgrounds.
· Ability to travel as needed.
· Master’s degree at time of application.
· Knowledge of: NCAA, Conference (NSIC, WCHA, NCHC), institutional, federal, and state rules and regulations.
· The ability to: perform accurate, detail-oriented work, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor.
· Demonstrated ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to comprehend potential issues and address them before they become problematic.
· Ability to function professionally in highly stressful situations to provide clear information on an impromptu basis to individuals or groups of people.
· Strong interpersonal/communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
· Strong organization and technology skills.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
St. Cloud State prepares students for life, work and citizenship in the 21st century. In our rigorous academic programs, students apply their knowledge in real-world settings.Our 200 academic programs, 60 graduate degrees and education abroad choices on six continents emphasize hands-on learning through community engagement and close interaction with professors. Couple that with support from the C...areer Services Center and you have a clear path to a career.Our 100-acre campus is between downtown St. Cloud and the Beaver Islands, a group of more than 30 islands that form a natural maze for a two-mile stretch of the Mississippi River. The St. Cloud metropolitan area is 24th on Forbes magazine's “Best Small Places for Businesses and Careers." St. Cloud State is ranked in Forbes magazine's "America's Top Colleges" and Money magazine's "Money's Best Colleges."