Founded in 1899, Northern Arizona University (NAU) is a public research university centered on students. NAU’s academic programs, research, public service, and creative endeavors enrich lives and create opportunities in Arizona and beyond. NAU develops solutions to challenge and drive innovation in a supportive, inclusive, and diverse environment.
NAU is one of three large public universities in the state. NAU is classified as Carnegie High Research institution serving a multicultural student body of over 31,000 students and offers 158 undergraduate and graduate programs. NAU was built on a student-first foundation. This was true when NAU opened its doors more than 100 years ago, and it is true now. NAU’s traditions and values of the past inform the present and help shape the future.
Northern Arizona University seeks a dynamic, imaginative and experienced leader for the position of Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics (Athletic Director). The successful candidate must possess leadership skills and significant experience in intercollegiate athletics. The Athletic Director is responsible for leading an athletic department composed of 15 NCAA Division I women’s and men’s sports that compete in the Big Sky Conference. The Athletic Director reports directly to the University President and will be a member of the President's executive team and cabinet.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Creates a culture of excellence and high standards for student welfare, compliance with the NCAA, and winning on the field/court and in the classroom.
• Promotes and markets an athletic program within a university setting, as well as to NAU alumni and the greater fan base.
• Establishes successful programs for fund raising and revenue-generating activities to enhance budgets, scholarships and athletic facilities.
• Provides effective communication as the spokesperson for the NAU athletics department with the media, alumni, donors, fans, parents and prospective athletes.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with a diverse group of faculty, administrators, staff, student body, student government associations, alumni, friends, booster clubs, and the local community regarding athletics at NAU.
• Provides fiscal oversight, develops and manages a department budget in collaboration with the University Chief Financial Officer.
• Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing diversity and fostering a culture of civility and mutual respect, while supporting and enhancing a culturally rich and diverse learning environment.
• Recruits, hires, mentors and evaluates a team of coaching professionals to lead NAU Athletics on the field, in student personal growth and in our community and philanthropic development.
• Develops and manages a highly effective administrative team focused on excellence, customer service and student success where Athletics is an integrated component of the University.
• Ensures the department’s compliance with Title IX, including without limitation, development and implementation of a long-term gender-equity plan.
• Ensures full compliance with all applicable Federal, State, NCAA, Big Sky Conference, and University rules and regulations.
• Bachelor’s degree is required, Master's degree is preferred.
• Progressive and highly relevant athletic administrative experience or demonstrated experience managing a complex organization.
• Demonstrated success in supervising senior-level executives/staff, developing and monitoring a comprehensive budgeting process, and overseeing an annual fundraising effort.
• Experience working with official university or business outreach efforts to engage external constituencies and support communications with community groups, alumni, donors and/or the media.
• Proven ability to work with diverse populations of students, faculty, staff, and external constituents.
• Demonstrated fundraising success, as well as facility upgrades and enhancements.
• Unwavering commitment to ethics and student-athlete academic success.
• Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills.
Northern Arizona University invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit materials online at Parker Executive Search’s website. For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 x. 118
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1899, Northern Arizona University is a public university centered on students. Our academic programs, research, public service, and creative endeavors enrich lives and create opportunities in Arizona and beyond. We develop solutions to challenges and drive innovation in a supportive, inclusive, and diverse environment.
NAU is built on a student-first foundation—this was true when we ...opened our doors more than 100 years ago, and it’s true now. Our traditions and values of the past inform our present and help us shape the future.